Given how difficult and expensive it is to make a movie, it's no surprise that most screenplays are never produced. But that doesn't mean there aren't gems out there, waiting for their serendipitous moment.
Here are some of my favorite (thus far) unproduced screenplays:
MARLENE THE DIVINE (comedy)
- Finalist for the Nicholl Fellowship (run by the Oscar's people), won the Page for Comedy, was a semifinalist at AFF, got me selected for a Sundance thing, put me on MovieMaker Magazine's list of "25 Screenwriters to Watch" in 2017, and was the top comedy script on Coverfly in 2020.
- LOGLINE: When a woman claiming to be God Almighty knocks a grieving widower out and drags him on a cross country road trip, it’ll take everything he’s got to consummate his plans for bloody revenge.
- Curious? You can (may) read the first few pages HERE.
LEECH (SciFi, thriller)
- Sci-fi winner in the Page contest.
- LOGLINE: When a deadly extra terrestrial latches onto a decrepit space station in orbit over the earth, only a homesick botanist and his estranged lover stand between it and the unsuspecting planet below.
- First few pages HERE.
GINSENG (drama, thriller)
- Finalist in the Nashville Film Festival Screenplay Competition.
- LOGLINE: An alcoholic veteran angers territorial locals when he drags his estranged son on a camping trip into the Appalachians and takes a detour to illegally dig some of "their" wild ginseng.
- First pages HERE.